Gluten, Nut and Dairy Free
For Morag and Jen
3 egg whites
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 cup of plain gluten free flour*
125g crystallised ginger - chopped into large chunks**
125g dried figs - chopped into large chunks**
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C.
2. Beat egg whites with an electric beater until soft peaks form.
3. Add sugar gradually, beat until sugar is dissolved.
4. Fold in sifted flour and fig and ginger pieces.
5. Gently spread into a lined loaf tin (25cm x 8cm)
6. Bake at 180˚C for 30 minutes.
7. Allow to cool and wrap in aluminium foil and rest in fridge for 2 days.῀
8. Preheat the over to 150˚C.
9. Slice loaf into wafer thin slices using a serrated bread knife and lay flat on a baking tray.
10. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until crisp.
Store in an airtight container
* You can use plain (wheat) flour if you do not need the biscuits to be gluten free.
** Any crystallised or dried fruits will work, almonds also work well.
῀ This recipe works best if you can leave the loaf to rest for a couple of days, but does work if rested over night.